Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Video Games - Round 2

This second round is serious. Great matches. Let's go!

Galaga vs Crazy Taxi: I just like this match up. Two great games. If I see a Galaga machine I'm gonna stick a quarter in it. But cutting lose in a convertible taxi and driving like I've lost all my good senses is just too appealing. My vote goes to Crazy Taxi.

Resident Evil vs Halo: I am sure there are people who exist whose heads would implode from trying to choose between these two. I'm going with Halo on this but only because Resident Evil gives me nightmares. But while I'm speaking on Resident Evil I have to say it is pretty cool that you can get Resident Evil 4 on the iPad.

Final Fantasy vs Excite Bike: If you play RPGs you can understand why Final Fantasy has a somewhat cultish type of following. Final Fantasy is not a game for people with short attention spans. You invest a lot of time into playing and you are rewarded with watching a wonderful story unfold. But can it beat pure nostalgia. Excite Bike was the game everyone talked about on the NES. You played it for hours with your friends. I'm a dedicated Final Fantasy fan so my vote is going with FF but I can see bow Excite Bike could give FF a run for its money.

Super Smash Bros vs Double Dragon: It's the battle of the ass whoopers. You can waste an endless amount of time on either one of these daydreaming that each punch you throw in the game was actually landing on the nose of the bully who took your lunch money and called you a geek. But I'm going with Double Dragon.

Because of the involvement of veteran Disney a...Image via Wikipedia



Mortal Combat vs Dragon's Lair: This is a tough one for me. I was a freshman in college when the first mortal combat was at its peak. I remember spending many an hour in the student activities building playing that game, but I could never beat it. I could whoop just about anybody's ass in a head to head using Liu Kang but I could. not. beat. that damn game. Now Dargon's Lair. Dragon's Lair is the game I used to wait in line to play at Chuck E. Cheese. I was so young and so bad at video games, but still I'd stand there in line with my $.50 cents in hand. See, while it is no big deal to pay $1 to play a video game today, $.50 was a lot back then because all video games were only $.25. But it was worth it. Oh boy, was it worth it cuz this game was both a video game and a cartoon and I loved both. And if I remember correctly, I wanted to fuck Princess Daphne and I was clueless as to what that even meant but I knew that there was something about her. So, I'm standing there, gripping my $.50 and patiently waiting while the guy that's playing is beating the game. I'd seen that guy many times before and he always beat the game without losing a man. I wait there until he beats the game and finally my time arrives and I step up to the machine. I put my $.50 in the machine. I grab the joystick and... .. ...I'm off the game in less than a minute.
*sigh*
I wish I could play that game still to this day. I'd spend a lot of money playing it until I beat it.

Ms. Pac-Man, Asteroids Deluxe and Donkey Kong 3Image by Aaron Landry via Flickr


Ms Pac-Man vs Duck Hunt: The battle of the old school favorites. Tough choice to be made here. Still love to see a Ms Pac-Man. Especially a table top Ms. Pac-Man. I just always thought that having a video game as a coffee table was the coolest thing in the world. But we all loved playing Duck Hunt. How many times have you gotten mad at that dog for laughing at you when you missed and tried to shoot him? Yeah we all did it. But I gotta go with Ms. Pac-Man. Such great memories surround sometimes just having a Ms. Pac-Man machine in the room. Those machines signify a certain time period. Arcade games were everywhere you went. I miss that.

Tetris vs Tomb Raider: I spent many an hour watching Kevin make Lara Croft try to jump and grab hold to some ledge. Needless to say that was boring for me. On the other hand though, I remember my parents actually bought me a Gameboy (I wonder what line I ran on them to dish out that kinda cash. I probably tricked them by saying it was something educational.) so I have played Tetris for many more hours. I feel sorry for that younger me. I needed a life. But still it was cool to see the rocket take off on Tetris.

Mario Kart vs Sonic the Hedgehog: They must call hedgehogs hedgehogs cuz the look like little pigs that are carrying little bushes on their backs cuz other wise it wouldn't make sense to name them after a fat guy sitting by a bush saying, "No. Get out of here. You can't have any of this hedge, it's mine." I'm just saying...it doesn't make sense.

Well that's all for now. I'll see you all tomorrow.

Rogie
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. I think Dargon's Lair is what The Shamrock is having its named changed to.

    ReplyDelete