Saturday, April 17, 2010

Movies - Round 5 (The Final Four)

The Final Four is here. I haven't been able to run my mouth about the matches like I usually do this tournament. So I am going to try to get a few things in here.

Image via Wikipedia


The Shawshank Redemption vs Star Wars: Two #1s battling it out. The Shawshank Redemption is one of the best movies I've ever seen. The story was just amazing. The acting was wonderful. You coudln't help but pull for Andy Dufresne. Then the movie rewarded you for pulling for him when you realized he had escaped. Then it got even better when you realized that everyone who screwed him over got screwed in the end. I loved it. But it ain't no Star Wars. I saw Star Wars when it was originally released in New York as part of a double feature. Grease was the other movie in the double feature. From that point on I was hooked. I was only 2 years old about to turn 3 in a month. Still remember it. That's how much of an impact it had on me. I decided at a young age that I wanted to be a scientist because my mom told me that's what I would have to be when I told her that I wanted to build the robots and spaceships in Star Wars. I went on to become a bartender but I did have a semi successful run as a computer programmer. My whole life has revolved around Star Wars. The fact that I do everything I contemplate doing comes from the fact that in The Empire Strikes back Yoda says, "There is no try. Just do or do not." And let me talk about the genius of two characters. Chewbacca and R2D2. Neither one of these muthafuckas could talk but you loved them! They made noises. Chewbacca howled and gunted. But you understood him. R2D2 even had a sense of humor and all he did was make beeps and whistles. That's good stuff right there. The feeling you get when you grow attached to the lovable asshole Han Solo then you think he's turned his back on the Rebellion only for him to come through in the end and clear the way for Luke so he can blow up the Death Star. And then there was one of the greatest villains ever created in Darth Vader. What was he? Is he a robot? Is he human? Why is he breathing like that? WHOA! He choked that guy without touching him.
So needless to say. I'm voting for Star Wars.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
The Godfather vs The Princess Bride: I like the Godfather. It is a really good movie but you know what gets me everytime I watch it? The scene where they are having the big meeting and they are talking about how they want no parts of the drugs and they say something like leave the drugs to the niggers. "They're animals anyway so let them lose their souls." That one scene is why I am voting for the much happier and friendlier Princess Bride. Not to mention Andre the Giant is in that movie. I mean, if you grew up in the 80s you loved Andrew the Giant. I wish I could have met him. Seems like the type of person who would have really been nice to kids. Plus I love the idea of the gentle giant. I hope kids see me as a gentle giant cuz I get all nervous when I'm around little kids. They remind me of how big I am. I honestly worry that I may fall on a little kid when they are playing around with me. ... Anyway... Pirates. A giant. A bad ass sword fight. Billy Crystal. How can you beat this? You can't.

And that's why the finals will be Star Wars vs The Princess Bride.

You heard it here first.

The Rog.

No comments:

Post a Comment