Friday, June 26, 2009

Music Genres - Round 5 (The Finals)

Let me just start this out by saying that I am terrible at predicting the outcomes on Coffee Cake. I guess I am making them to give you something to laugh at. For example, I said I would like to see Lounge upset Country in the first round but there was no way it was going to happen. Lounge went on to put an ass whooping on Country. Last round, I said Blues would beat Rock & Roll and Rhythm & Blues would beat Funk. I then went on to tell Josh McCoy that the over all winner of this tournament would come out of the Rock & Roll vs Blues match-up. Well I was wrong about Rhythm & Blues and The Blues, not to mention I probably cursed Rock & Roll's chances of winning the tournament.
Let's look at the match up. They say the greatest Rock & Roll song ever made is Led Zepplin's "Stairway To Heaven". In my opinion, the greatest funk song ever made is The J.B.'s "Doing It To Death". Ok based on those two, I'm going to give my vote to (CENSORED).
One of the best funk songs to dance to is Funkadelic's "One Nation Under A Groove". The song is not only a groover but a patriotic song too. Wouldn't it be great if this was the US National Soccer Team's theme song? You know they play in the FIFA Confederation Cup finals Sunday. It would be a party for sure if they won and this song started playing! The greatest Rock & Roll song to dance to is probably Chubby Checker's "The Twist" (don't lie when you hear it you can't help but to start doing it). But for some reason it just doesn't seem right to put that up against One Nation... so let's try David Bowie's "Let's Dance".
What about anthems? I am so tempted to say Rock and Roll's anthem is Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll prt 2" (you never knew the name of that song did you?) but who does he think he's fooling? He's not Rock & Roll! He's a lounge singer doing Rock & Roll songs! So I am going to say Queen's "We Will Rock You". Funk's anthem? Cameo's "Word Up".
I don't want to say who I want to win this match up. I don't want to curse them. But for those of you keeping score on me, I'll give you one more to laugh at. I'm going to pick...Funk! Funk to win it all. I think Funk has a good chance at winning it. Funk won it's match yesterday by a higher percentage than Rock & Roll did. Let's see what happens.

So we lost Michael Jackson last night. Here's a MJ song that I think you probably haven't heard on TV yet. For some reason, this video used to scare the shit out of me as a kid.

Go root for USA in the Confederation Cup finals. The first FIFA finals for The USA ever!
See you after the voting is done.
Roger

1 comment:

  1. Angel asked if there was any new funk being created and I would have to point to Sa-Ra Creative Partners for the future of funk.

    ReplyDelete