Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Music Genres - Round 3 (The Elite Eight)

ROUND 3!! Only one upset comes out of Round 2 and that's the mighty, mighty Blues over Hip-Hop. So let's look at the Elite Eight match ups.

(3) Blues vs (4) Disco - Well Disco, you've come a long way. Do you have what it takes to beat the Blues? Most people are very familiar with the cheesy Disco (Your weak points). So let's introduce them to the good stuff, like Ecstacy Passion and Pain, Eddie Kendricks's "Date With The Rain", or Chicago's "Street Player". Yeah that's the Disco I love. How can you compete with that?
Well like Angel "This Girl" Collins pointed out The Blues has people named Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Z.Z. Hill, R.L. Burnside and KoKo Taylor. Folks with names that make you not want to run across them in a dark alley. Disco has names like K.C. and The Sunshine Band, Andy Gibbs, and Chic. Who's gonna win that fight? Disco, I love you. It's been real fun playing you in my DJ sets but I'm going with The Blues on this one.
(1) Rock 'N Roll vs (2) Jazz - A #1 vs a #2. Tough choosing here. John Coletrane vs Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis vs The Doors, Janis Joplin vs Ella Fitzgerald. Thelonious Monk vs Jerry Lee Lewis, The Who vs Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck vs AC/DC, Art Tatum vs Queen, Tito Puente vs Carlos Santana!!! What to do?! My all time favorite album is Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue". Jazz, my vote goes with you.
(3) Funk vs (2) Reggae - Oh Lawd! James Brown, Parliment, Funkadelic, Sly and the Family Stone, Earth Wind And Fire, Kool and The Gang. *sigh* Bob Marley and The Wailers, Toots And The Maytals, Jackie Mitoo, Sly & Robbie, Buju Banton, Sizlla. Oh my goodness. I love you both so much but there is no greater feeling than dropping a Funkadelic song in a DJ set.
(1) Rhythm and Blues vs (2) Classical - My two favorite R&B artists are Stevie Wonder and Roberta Flack. And while I can listen to them all day every day and still hear something new in the same songs, I am always blown away by the complexity of a Gustav Mahler symphony. How could one man write something that with out words puts a whole story in my head? Nina Simone is one of the purest R&B talents the world has ever created. Her songs leap forth with feeling and emotion. But she was a classical trained piano performer first, and one listen to a Rachmaninov piano concerto helps you understand how she got so good. I honestly thought my vote would go to Rhythm & Blues but after careful thought, I'm going with Classical.

So who do you plan to vote for?

Later.
Roger

2 comments:

  1. Oooo! I tied up R&B vs. Classical. I figure Reggae would be out this round. How much can any one person like reggae???

    I love me some Ella and Billie Holiday and have been know to play Strange Fruits for a class full of 9 year olds, but imma hafta go with Rock & Roll on this one. I am tempted, upon remembering the quizzical expression on those 9 year old faces, to switch to Jazz after voting against it all this time.

    I have to say, I'm a little sad and surprised that Grunge didn't make it. What the frak did you guys listen to in the early 90s? Def Leopard? Jeesh! Pearl Jam just came out with a new record too. And you couldn't even vote it to this round in memory of Layne Staley? C'MON! (rant over)

    Poor Disco. You didn't know you would make it this far just to end up alone and in the corner while your date dances with the blues... Wait... that's not dancing!

    No matter who wins the matchups, the final four is going to be badass! We're going to have some tough choices people! Like, just how much do you really like Classical music? I know it's your midday connection on NPR, but do you like it better than funk or reggae? What if it was between reggae and classical? I think I would rather watch Desperate Housewives than that "game". Don't get me wrong, I love Classical, but it's one thing to see it get there and another thing altogether to watch it play for that final round. Anyway, every vote counts. Don't choke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm most excited about a possible Rock & Roll vs Blues match up.

    ReplyDelete