Monday, June 29, 2009

Home Cooked Dishes - Round 1


Sorry I'm a day late with this but after a mean hangover Sunday morning, I trekked to a friend's house where she nursed me back to health with a great strawberry smoothie and watched the soccer match with me. Which put us in a bad mood. Did you see that crap? How can the USA play so well in the first half and then completely lose it in the second half? But let me show some love for the USA goalkeeper, Howard. He was the USA's team Player of the Game. Needless to say with both me and my friend being cranky people, we sat around the rest of the evening in a funk. It was wonderful.

So, Home Cooked Dishes! I've been telling people here and there that this was going to be much tougher to vote for than the Music Genres category was. All of the #1s make sense and then just about everything after that could have been a #2 or #3. Other than Liver & Onions. That one was a definite #8. I wasn't going to include it but when I was asking people's favorite dishes, K. Miller named it.

I expect all of the #1s to move on with no problems. I think the best shot at upsetting a #1 is Grilled Cheese up against Creamed Potatoes. My vote is going to Grilled Cheese even though I think Creamed Potatoes will take it.
Once you get to the #2s and beyond, anything goes. Pork Chops vs Salmon Patties. I'll take Salmon Patties. Chicken and Dumplings vs Pancakes. I'll take pancakes. Apple Pie vs Chili. Gimmie Apple Pie. Creamed Corn vs Cornbread Stuffing. I'll take a double helping of Creamed Corn please.
The #3 vs #6 match ups are just as tough. Buttermilk Biscuits vs Cabbage, I like biscuits. Steak vs Black Eyed Peas. Hate the rap group but love the food. Black Eyed Peas. Cornbread vs Red Beans and Rice. This ain't fair. I like to eat my Red Beans and Rice with Cornbread. I think I'll take Cornbread. Lasagna vs Fried Okra. Lasagna.
And finally. the #4s vs #5s. Baked Salmon vs Enchiladas. Baked Salmon. Collard Greens vs Chocolate Cake. Wow. Choc...Collards! Fried Catfish vs Gumbo. NOOOOOOOOO!! Catfish? Yeah Catfish. Chicken Soup vs Fried Green Tomatoes. I'll take the Fried Green Tomatoes.

I told you it was going to be tough.
RR

1 comment:

  1. Here's some of the interesting things that are going on right now. Chocolate Chip Cookies were behind but have taken a 3 vote lead over Meatloaf. It looks like #8 seed Grilled Cheese is going to make a blow out win over Creamed Potatoes. Enchiladas is putting on a clinic right now with an 11 vote lead over Baked Salmon. Keep your eyes on Enchiladas this week. They could make it as far as the 3rd Round. And I see a great 2nd Round match-up coming up with Chocolate Cake vs Chicken and Dumplings if they can both hold on to their leads! This category has already exceeded my expectations for excitement.
    Roger

    ReplyDelete