Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Magazines - Round 2 (The Sweet Sixteen)


Cover image of High Times premiere issue, Summ...Image via Wikipedia


So we made it to round 2 and we are still going. The knees are still a little weak. The stomach is a little queezy but we are hanging in there. Let's look at today's match ups.

Bon Appetit vs High Times: I like that High Times has to take on two cooking magazines in the first two rounds. It beat A Taste Of Home to move on to the second round and it is giving Bon Appetit a run for its money today. I'm sure there have been recipes in High Times.

Better Homes and Gardens vs Complex: I think the readers of Readymade are probably jumping on the Better Homes and Gardens bandwagon. I don't think the guys buyers guide stands a chance this round even though I voted for it.

New Yorker coverImage via Wikipedia


The New Yorker vs WIRED: I love The New Yorker. I feel smarter for reading it. I feel sophisticated when I laugh at the comics in it. I dream of strolling through the MoMA after reading about a great exhibit there. I subscribe to it off an on. Right now I am without a subscription and I miss it. I've never read WIRED so I think you can figure where my vote is going to go.

Popular Science vs The Smithsonian: There is a point in your life when you realize that you are no longer edgy or cool. I hit that point when I realized that the only radio station I listen to is NPR are my only magazine subscription currently is to The Smithsonian. Now don't get me wrong, The Smithsonian has some good reading in it. Really interesting stuff. But come on this is the Nova of magazines. I'm a nerd. My co-workers ask me to hang out on a Monday night and I tell them no cuz I have to get home and listen to RadioLab on Georgia Public Broadcasting. I go and sit on the toilet and I grab a copy of The Smithsonian. Then I talk about it on my blog. How did life get this way?

Rolling Stone vs Playboy: These are two of America's greatest magazines. They both broke ground. Gave some of the greatest interviews ever printed. They changed society. But Playboy...ahhhh I remember the first Playboy I ever saw. It was the one with Vanna White. The second one I saw had Ola Ray as the centerfold. Ola Ray was the girl in Michael Jackson's Thriller vicdeo. She had the prettiest nipples I had ever seen. And at that time I hadn't seen many but I still remember those nipples. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy who can remember the first Playboy they've ever seen. The reason for this is most likely because, like me, their first viewing of a Playboy probably coincides with the first time they masturbated. Then depending on how you look at it, life is all downhill from there. You spend the rest of your life chasing women. Well, I'm voting for Playboy. Thanks for ruining my life. Please start putting more natural women in the magazine again so I can start subscribing again. Thanks.

RR
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment